I am between the ages of 8-11. I can't be sure, exactly, but that time period seems about right. I'm small, but not too small. It's before puberty makes me chubby. It's when I still run outside and play in the mud, before all I want to do is hide inside with books and I'm worried about what other people will think of me.
I'm sitting at a table in a woman's living room, but it might also be her dining room table. She lives in an apartment. Apartments fascinate me because I've never lived in one and I won't live in one until I'm in my 20's. This apartment may be on a golf course overlooking a water feature. It might also overlook Surprise Lake. I remember water and green outside the sliding glass door that led to her balcony. I have the foggy recollection of this apartment being in Milton, which was just up the hill from where we lived when I was that age. Surprise Lake Village was at the top of Jovita Hill where there was a Pay 'N Save and a video store and a Ben Franklin crafts. All of those things seem adjacent to the memory, like they existed around the space where I was.
Sometimes when we'd go up Jovita Boulevard, leading from our home in the country valley to the services we needed at the top of the hill, my mom would remind us that one of the Green River Killer's victims was found there. It's the reason we weren't allowed to camp in the back yard. Sometimes I wonder if I should have known this. But I am a child of the 80s and of Western Washington, and we are in the golden age of serial killers and missing children. There's a McGruff House sign on our window designating us as a safe place for kids outrunning a would-be captor. My mom has a vast library of Ann Rule novels.
Anyway, I'm sitting at this table with this woman in a chair beside me. I know her, but not well. She's not family. She's maybe a school employee, possibly a counselor. I feel like my mom knows her, which might make sense since my mom works at my elementary school. I'm not afraid of her, but I hold no significant memory of her or even what she looks like. I think my memory chooses to paint her in the stereotypical 90s schoolteacher "pixie" cut, wearing an embroidered vest and a turtleneck. She has questions for me, possibly some kind of a test.
I'm used to tests. This isn't uncommon. Gifted placement tests. I took the SAT in the fourth grade. I tested at a college reading level when I was equally as young. I placed high on the now defunct Test of Standard Written English. I was selected to test for Johns Hopkins programs. I was smart, but never quite smart enough. I didn't get chosen a lot. It took me until middle school to secure a space in the gifted program.
The point is, being tested isn't strange. I like tests. Tests are tangible. They give you results. Sometimes they reward you. Full marks on a test or a quiz gets praise. Sometimes test results mean you're chosen. I want to be chosen. I want praise. I want to be seen. Sometimes I feel like I can only be seen if I test well. If I perform well. Then I'm worth seeing and praising and choosing. I like the data of testing, I like the analytics that rank and sort and give insight. It's factual and material and real. It's not like emotions and opinions, which always seem a little out of grasp for me, incorporeal and abstract. Later in life, I'll like lab results and numbers, but I won't like math. I will like analyzing data to make sense out of nothingness.
I don't speak to my mother any more. That's a post for another time, if ever. I could ask my dad, but I can almost hear the inflection, the modulation, the tone of his voice as he tells me that he doesn't remember, that my mother was in charge of those things, that he was always working. I don't speak to my sister either, but she would have been too young to know. It may remain a mystery, I don't know. I have a million possible theories, from mundane IQ testing to some kind of CPS interview. Maybe it was an autism assessment. Maybe it was therapy. Maybe I was weird in a time when girls weren't supposed to be weird and someone wanted to know why.
I like to look outside myself at this memory and think that somewhere, there is a ghost of a girl in an apartment living room. She's looking out over the water and the deep green of the Doug firs and the bigleaf maples. She's got knobby knees and off brand sneakers. Brown hair that her mom tucks behind her ears to "train" it.
She's probably just trying to please.
She just wants to be seen.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 06:39 pm (UTC)I really love the honesty and authenticity of this piece. There is a clarification in its fuzziness. I certainly relate to the always being tested thing and it all blurring together... good work! Thanks for sharing!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 07:00 pm (UTC)There's probably some way of clarifying the memory... self hypnosis, regression therapy, something like that. I think so, because you have a lot of details surrounding it. I like to shout "it's in there!" when I'm having trouble remembering a name or event, occasionally... because "as soon as I hear it, I'll say, 'YES!'" and that might be the case with this, for you.
Maybe it's just another test! Thanks for the excursion up your hill.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 07:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 07:45 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 07:15 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 07:33 pm (UTC)The image you described at the end feels very poignant, but it also seems like you could do a lot with it as an author. Why does this ghost exist? Or, maybe she's not a ghost, but another version of you that got stuck there somehow. Two versions of you, each out there doing different things, living different lives. :)
Cool entry.
Dan
no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 07:52 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 09:47 pm (UTC)I love the tone of this. The way it doesn't feel 100% real and solid -- like a lot of flimsy memories. But it has that bite of realness, too.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-17 11:38 pm (UTC)Really lovely, and the last line is a gut punch.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-18 12:07 am (UTC)I am glad you are in Idol. We see you!!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-18 02:00 am (UTC)This is a very honest, authentic, and emotional piece. I was a G&T kid who took tests far too early; I'm haunted by the girl I once was, who still wants to be perfect because that was expected. And my gods, "She just wants to be seen" is SO very heart-wrenching. That is a line that strikes my heart; I feel it. I know it.
Thank you for sharing something so open and honest. I really enjoyed your writing style here, and how very realistic this is. <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-18 02:33 am (UTC)But what really got me was the realization that the mystery of the test almost becomes secondary to what this memory reveals about that little girl. She liked tests because they offered something concrete: do well, receive praise, maybe get chosen. And then the ending strips all of that away until there’s just this little girl with her knobby knees and off-brand sneakers who wants someone to see her. “She’s probably just trying to please. She just wants to be seen.” OOF. That landed.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-18 12:11 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-18 05:39 pm (UTC)Also, I was a Johns Hopkins program kid. As a teen, it was probably my only real experience of feeling a sense of belonging.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 03:56 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 07:36 pm (UTC)(also, huge mood on being so used to tests at a young age and the feeling of simply trying to do well and be seen since that's how the world has decided one can be seen...)
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 02:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 06:24 pm (UTC)I can relate to being the kid who wanted to please. I was terrible in the social arena, and so for me, getting good marks or testing well gave me the approval that I craved. Not to mention, my dad accidentally engrained some super-high pressure educational expectations for me at a young age that added to it, because Dad's approval was the most important approval back then.
In short, I see 8-11 year old you. I get it. ♥
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 05:46 am (UTC)I'm from an era where there were no "gifted" classes, though my grade school in Salem had some accommodations. There was a classroom assistant in 2nd grace who helped us with advanced math and reading (allowing us to go at a faster pace), and I was allowed access to the whole school library in 3rd grade, which really helped. Portland offered less than that. I was usually just grateful if the teacher would let me read books during class. :O
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 02:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 01:32 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 06:02 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 11:39 am (UTC)